Timeline

Celebrating 100 Years 1913-2013

1913 - 2013

One hundred years ago, believing that Jewish people in Columbus needed a centralized place to meet, Joseph Schonthal opened up meeting rooms for organizations to use. Today the JCC continues to grow and evolve, still providing space—and food, education, recreation, and human connection—for this thriving Central Ohio community.

1913 Joseph Schonthal provides meeting rooms to all segments of the Jewish community, at 355 South Washington Avenue

1918 Schonthal purchased the old Hoster Brewery Mansion building on 555 East Rich Street

1919 Athletic programs began at the Schonthal Center, including basketball, baseball and boxing

1927 Camp Schonthal opened on 25 acres of land in Union County near Magnetic Springs

1946 The name was changed to The Columbus Jewish Center

1948 Gallery players founded

1949 Golden Agers was formed, first formalization of activities for seniors.

1950 JCC completed and moved into a new building at 1125 College Avenue

1951 Preschool opened as a formal program

1963 First Jewish book Fair held at JCC

1965 28.4 acre country day camp site acquired at Hoover, originally called Cubbage Corners, later renamed Camp Hoover

1983 JCC completed and moved into current building, also at 1125 College Avenue

1987 JCC North preschool program started

1991 Infant care facility opened

1996 JCC New Albany opened in collaboration with Temple Beth Shalom

2002 The Diamond Family Fitness Center opened and the Ellman Early Childhood Wing opened

2004 First Jewish Film Festival

2007 The Zusman Center opened

2009 Opened New Albany Campus

2012  December 6th groundbreaking for College Avenue Expansion

2013 JCC Celebrates 100 years; 16,000 sq ft College Avenue expansion is completed

Click here for more information on the JCC’s History

JCC History

4-Star Charity

Charity Navigator is America's premier independent charity evaluator. Click on the logo to review our four star rating.
JCC College Ave.
1125 College Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
phone 614.231.2731
fax 614.231.8222

See more locations...

About the JCC

The JCC is a place that nurtures a passion for Jewish learning and living. Through its programs and services, the JCC provides an inviting Jewish Neighborhood and comfortable place to thrive. Hours: M-Th 5:30 am - 10 pm; Fri 5:30 am - 6 pm; Sat 1:30 - 6 pm; Sun 8 am - 7 pm

facebook LinkedIn twitter YouTube

Get Our Newsletter

Name:

Email:

Enter characters to match the two fields:
captcha