Join the JCC Camp Staff
The JCC is looking for energetic people who love working with kids, to be role models, motivate campers and do everything in their power to make each camper’s summer experience the most memorable. Must be fun loving, patient and genuinely concerned for the welfare and development of young people. Work as camp counselors, special needs camp counselors, lifeguards, specialists and unit heads, 1125 College Avenue or at the JCC’s Hoover Reservoir site in Westerville.
The JCC hires the highest quality of experienced staff members – from Unit Heads to Junior Counselors. Many JCC camp staff return for multiple seasons. All staff are selected through an interview process which examines education, professional training, prior camp experience and the ability to work with children.
Camp staff participate in an orientation week and ongoing training during the summer.
Training includes learning to work with children in groups, first aid/safety training and special programming/skills workshops.
All staff are entitled to great benefits, including JCC fitness center membership.
Find out more about opportunities for new hire and rehire (those that did not work in 2014) hopefuls and returning staff from Summer Camp 2014 below.
New Hire / Rehire
New staff members and staff members that did not work in 2014 are required to fill out selected forms and review the JCC employee handbook. Please fill out the New Staff Application and return to the camp office.
Returning Staff Members
Returning staff members from Summer Camp 2015 must complete the required forms below and review the JCC employee handbook. Please fill out the Returning Staff Application and return to the camp office
Staff Job Descriptions
- Unit Head: Responsible for supervising/mentoring a group of counselors within a specific age group, for planning and implementing unit time, and corresponding with parents as assigned by the camp director. This position serves as a role model for the rest of the camp staff and is privy to confidential information. MUST have prior experience working at a day or overnight camp OR teaching experience and be at least 21 years old or entering senior year of college.
- Specialist: Plans programs in assigned specialty area and engages children in program area. Must have expertise in assigned specialty area, and preferably, experience programming for children.
- Senior Counselor: Responsible for supervision of 10-15 campers, plan activities for their group and ensuring campers stay on schedule throughout the day and are happy, healthy and hydrated! In some cases, this position will supervise one or more junior counselors.
- Camp Hoover: 4th – 8th grades: Positions available: Trip Leader, Senior Counselors*, Specialists (Art, Ropes Course, Water Front/Sailing, Music/Song Leading)
- *All Camp Hoover counselors must be able to lead or assist with leading an activity (as listed on the staff application).
- Camp Arye: Children and adults with special needs ages 3-22: Positions Available: Senior Counselors, Junior Counselors, Specialists
- Camp Ora: 3 years 9 months – Kindergarten: Positions Available: Senior Counselors, Specialists (Sports)
- Junior Counselor: Responsible for the supervision of campers and assist in teaching and leading activities.
- Before/After Care: Responsible for the supervision of children, implementing/planning activities. In some cases this position will supervise one or more staff.