JCC College Avenue, JCC New Albany, JCC North
Assist the Lead Teacher in providing and supervising safe activities which promote the emotional, social, intellectual and physical development of the children.
1. Knowledge and Education – Minimum Required or Preferred: High School Diploma (or GED); some post high school education in early childhood development or similar field preferred.
2. Experience – Minimum Required or Preferred: Previous experience working with young children; two years minimum preferred.
3. Special skills: Sincerely enjoy and value children and their education
4. Physical Requirements: Young children are very active. To teach young children effectively and keep them safe, the teacher must be physically able to keep up with children.
a. Be able to lift up to 25 pounds: Move a child during an emergency; lift/carry child to quiet area during
b. Be able to run: Reach a child quickly / protect a child during an emergency; participate in physical play with children to keep them engaged.
c. Be able to sit on the floor: Young children play on the floor. Teachers must be able to interact with children on their level. Because young children explore and change activities frequently, teachers must be physically able to get off the floor and sit back down easily.
d. Stamina: Young children move constantly throughout their day. Teachers must be able to maintain the same level of energy throughout the day.
e. Activities: Able to participate in outdoor and indoor activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist the lead teacher in providing appropriate early childhood education experiences with an emphasis on implementing the JCC Jewish curriculum, Creative Curriculum, and Step Up to Quality Standards in the classrooms.
• Assume the role of lead teacher in the absence of the lead teacher.
• Assist in providing and supervising activities which promote the emotional, social, intellectual and physical development of each child.
• Assist in arrangement and upkeep of classroom and classroom equipment and materials.
• Help the lead teacher as they document and write assessments on the children in the classroom.
• Report and discuss any problems with children or class management to the lead teacher.
• Maintain confidentiality regarding children and families.
• Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. (internet social media personal accounts) may not contain information or pictures about children at the JCC, the JCC, or work related issues with other staff or the JCC.
• Supervise all activities to insure safety of each child at all times, complete incident reports and communicate information to lead teacher and director.
• Greet each child and parent warmly and in a friendly manner each morning upon arrival.
• Work with parents to promote understanding of growth and development of their child and to assist head teacher in a mid-year parent conference.
• Participate in Jewish learning opportunities as provided by supervisor and other JCC staff. Use the Judaic curriculum as a guideline for Jewish learning in the classroom and in lesson plans.
• Participate actively in specialty classes.
• Attend week of in-service training prior to the start of the school year and Teacher In-Service Day in January.
• Attend day and evening staff meetings as required by director.
• Attend special events, programs, and meetings as called upon by supervisor during or after school hours (for example: Curriculum Night, Meet the Teacher, Family Shabbat Dinners, ECS Family Picnic, Art Show, and holiday programs). Dates will be communicated to staff at least three weeks in advance.
• Naptime is allocated for JCC work not personal business. Acceptable activities for staff working during naptime in the classroom while children are sleeping include: Newsletters, changing bulletin boards, cleaning countertops, toys, etc. Unacceptable activities for staff during this time include: Sleeping, dozing, meditating, use of personal data devices (including, but not limited to, texting, Facebook, twitter, etc.), and reading (ECE related reading acceptable) etc.
• Maintain a safe and clean classroom environment.
• Maintain a professional demeanor.
• Maintain neat and clean appearance.
• Respect all co-workers; work with other staff members in a cooperative manner.
• Follow personnel policies of the JCC of GC and represent the JCC in a manner befitting a professional educator.
• Maintain scheduled hours in a timely manner; notify preschool office in the event of absence.
• In addition to JCC Employee Handbook Policies regarding termination of employment, ECE staff will:
• Notify the ECE Director/Site Director/Assistant Director (in writing within the appropriate time frame); who reserves the right to be the first contact with the preschool families in the classroom regarding the employee’s last day through a note, email or phone call.
• Refrain from posting about the termination on social media until preschool families have been notified by the ECE Director/Site Director/Assistant Director.
• Leave personal classroom items in the classroom until the last day and hour of employment. The ECE Director/Site Director/Assistant Director reserves the right to confirm items removed from the classroom do not belong to the JCC.
• Not alter the classroom displays prior to or upon leaving.
• Failure to comply could cause immediate termination, will make the ECE employee ineligible for rehire, and may make the employee ineligible for PTO payout.
• Submit all necessary forms and certificates related to licensing requirements in advance of the school year and on demand.
• *** NO NON EMERGENT CELL PHONE USAGE (including texting & games) during work hours. ***
• FY 2020-2021 FESTIVAL DAYS: (new hire 6/1/2020+ work all)
• Expected to work 3 of the 5 Festival Days
• If the Festival Day is a Holiday as defined by the JCC Handbook, staff working the Festival Day will receive Holiday Pay (if eligible for Holiday Pay) for hours regularly scheduled and wages for hours actually worked.
• Teachers observing these religious Holidays are not required to work Festival Days
• Fulfill requirements for Step Up to Quality including 5-hour online orientation, lesson plans, SUTQ trainings, and completing 10 professional development courses per year.
• Maintain accurate timesheet in Paycom by submitting necessary punch changes and PTO and approving hours each week.
• Maintain communication tools including newsletters, lesson plans, pictures, assessments, daily reports using the HiMama app.
• Needs to abide by and be familiar with ODJFS licensing and SUTQ Rules.
• All other duties as assigned.
The JCC is an EEO, At-Will Employer.
Apply in person at:
1125 College Avenue
Columbus, OH 43209.