Water Safety Instructor
JCC College Avenue – Hours Vary
Instruct students on proper water safety while adhering to all policies and procedures set forth by the Aquatics Manual. Plan and ensure students’ progression in learning water safety skills. Communicate progress with students’ parents and, using professional attitude at all times, communicate any concerns with all appropriate parties, including supervisors.
1. Knowledge and Education – Minimum Required or Preferred: American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification, CPRPR, First Aid
2. Experience – Minimum Required or Preferred: none
3. Special Skills: Must pass a preliminary swimming test. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Must be able to teach, communicate, and work with people of all ages.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Adhere to all policies and procedures as set forth in the Aquatics Manual.
• Teach group or private lessons to people of all ages.
• Provide safe instruction to the participants of the JCC swimming programs.
• Complete necessary planning and paperwork inherent to the position. American Red Cross Activity Reports MUST be completed at the end of every session. This ensures your certification stays current.
• Attend all staff and evaluation meetings as scheduled.
• Instructors will be expected to have tentative block plans for each class. The supervisor will check the block plans.
• Always start and finish class on time.
• Check off skills as the students accomplish them.
• Maintain student progress reports and communicate students’ progress to parents.
• Make use of teaching aids.
• Instructors should always be in the water with the students.
• Attendance must be taken each day for every class.
• A professional attitude must be maintained at all times and all swim lessons should be fun, safe, and well-organized.
• Report problems you are having immediately (with children, teachers, counselors, etc.)
• All other duties as assigned.
The JCC is an EEO, At-Will Employer.
Apply in person at:
1125 College Avenue
Columbus, OH 43209.