JCC College Avenue – Hours Vary
The safety and well-being of all persons using the pool is the primary concern and responsibility of the lifeguard position. This is accomplished through the proper enforcement of all the Jewish Community Center policies, procedures, and rules regarding pool use. Optimally, by doing this, being alert, and being prepared to act in an emergency at all times, accidents will be prevented.
1. Knowledge and Education – Minimum Required or Preferred: Standard First Aid, CPRPR, and Lifeguard training
2. Experience – Minimum Required or Preferred: none
3. Special Skills: Must pass a pre-employment skills test and be able to lift 50 lbs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintain a complete knowledge of policies & procedures outlined in the Aquatics Manual.
Major duties include:
• Enforce all rules of the Jewish Community Center.
• Control crowds and maintain a safe swimming environment.
• Inform your supervisor of potentially dangerous situations.
• Be professional, alert, courteous, and tactful. Be in a state of preparedness to act in any emergency situation.
• Perform appropriate rescues when necessary and perform First Aid.
• Report all injuries and rescues to the Aquatics Supervisor.
• After any accident or incident occurs, immediately complete any forms or written information that may be necessary. Documentation must be descriptive, detailed, and accurate because all documentation is retained for three years.
• Scan entire area of responsibility every 20 seconds.
• Know emergency procedures for both life-threatening and non-life-threatening situations.
• Be the first to respond to any situation that requires First Aid or is a life-threatening or non-life-threatening emergency.
• Vacuum the pool on a daily basis.
• Refrain from unnecessary talk or visiting with members. Refer members with lengthy questions to appropriate supervisor.
• Eating is prohibited while in the chair. No reading or cell phone use, including texting, is permitted while on guard duty.
• All lifesaving equipment should be in proper working order and readiness.
• Keep unauthorized personnel and equipment off the lifeguard stand.
• Always be on time for scheduled shifts and participate in all in-service programs.
• Enforce pool security rules: members should enter through the Fitness Welcome Center or the pool gate.
• Lifeguards will be rotated every 30 minutes during Spring, Winter, and Fall; every 15 minutes in
summer. During down time you are responsible for checking the bathrooms, trash, and deck for cleanliness.
• Be alert for weak swimmers. Anticipate problem situations before accidents occur.
• All other duties as assigned.
The JCC is an EEO, At-Will Employer.
Apply in person at:
1125 College Avenue
Columbus, OH 43209.