CAMP JUNIOR COUNSELOR
JCC College Avenue – Hours Vary
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus Day Camp provides children with a variety of experiences and activities to enhance their Jewish identity, create fun and adventure, develop an appreciation and understanding for the outdoors and develop each camper as an individual and as a member of a group.
The Junior Camp Counselor works directly with the Senior Counselor to identify and meet camper needs, and is responsible for supervising camp participants, ensuring the well-being and safety of each camper, maintaining a fun and safe environment for all staff and campers and fulfilling other staff administrative roles.
Supervised by Director of JCC Camps, Unit Head and/or Senior Counselor
1. Knowledge and Education: – Minimum Required or Preferred: Ninth grade graduate or at least 15
years of age
2. Experience – Minimum Required or Preferred:
3. Special Skills: Desire and ability to work with children outdoors; ability to relate to one’s peer group; ability to accept guidance and supervision; ability to assist in teaching an activity; good character, integrity and adaptability, enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and self-control.
4. Requirements: Must be at least 16 years or older. Maintain current Adult and Child CPR/AED certifications (provided during training). Must be available to work Mondays – Fridays, 8:15am – 4:15pm. Must pass criminal background check. Must be able to attend mandatory staff training June 7th – June 11th, priority given to staff available for entire duration of camp which runs from June 14th through August 13th.
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
• Ability to communicate and work with groups participating and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
• Physical strength and ability to be actively involved in activities of instruction.
• Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
• Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and conduct the activity to achieve camper development.
• Strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
• Ability to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury).
The JCC is an EEO, At-Will Employer.
Apply in person at:
1125 College Avenue
Columbus, OH 43209.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Learn the likes/dislikes of each participant.
• Recognize and respond to opportunities for problem solving in the group.
• Develop opportunities for interaction between campers and staff.
• Provide opportunities for the group so that each individual experiences success during camp.
• Provide opportunities for discussion of individual or group problems or concerns.
• Help each participant meet the goals established by the camp for camper development.
• Participate in a camp Jewish Education program.
• Guide group and individual campers in participating successfully in all aspects of camp activities.
• Carry out established roles for supervising camper health.
• Carry out established roles in enforcing camp safety regulations.
• Develop activity plans with participants as appropriate.
• Supervise all assigned aspects of the campers’ day.
• Instruct campers in emergency procedures.
• Help camper plan their participation in unit-wide or camp-wide programs, special events, and activities.
• Assist in teaching or leading an activity, as assigned.
• Wear a swim suit and assist in daily pool activities.
• Prepare for and actively participate in staff trainings and meetings.
• Set a good example for campers and others including cleanliness, punctuality, sharing clean-up and chores and sportsmanship.
• Follow camp rules and regulations pertaining to smoking, use of alcoholic beverages, and the use of drugs.
• Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment, and facilities.
• Punch in and out daily using the Paycom app and approve your timecards on Paycom by close of business every Friday.
• These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and other duties may be assigned as required.